Avocado and Green Mango Salad Recipe
Creamy avocados are infused with tropical flavors of green mango and coconut in this light and fruit filled salad. You’ll find that this Thai-inspired salad is a refreshing and tasty way to start out any meal.
Recipe courtesy of Executive Chef/Owner Chai Siriyarn, Marnee Thai, San Francisco, CA.
Recipe is designed for foodservice use and is not intended for consumer scaling of less than 12 servings.
- Dressing (recipe follows)
- 3 cups green mango, cut to matchstick size
- 6 each ripe, Fresh Hass Avocado* peeled, and diced 1/2″
- 3/8 cup deep fried shallot slices
- 3/8 cup lemongrass, (tender part only), finely sliced crosswise
- 12 each kaffir lime leaves, hard stem and vein removed, julienned
- 24 each poached prawns (26 – 30 count per pound) peeled and deveined
- 3/4 cup toasted, shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced green onion, crosswise
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced red onion, lengthwise
- 3/4 cup toasted cashews
- As needed, fresh mint and cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 12 small orchid flowers for plate garnish, optional
- 4 1/2 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 3/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 3/8 cup roasted red chili paste (also called chili jam or nam prik phao)
- 1 1/2 to 3 Tbsp. coconut sugar, add to taste
- As needed, fresh Thai bird chiles, thinly sliced, to taste
- Per Order (one salad which serves 2)In a mixing bowl add 1/2 cup matchstick cut green mango, 1 each diced avocado, 1 Tbsp. fried shallot, 1 Tbsp. lemongrass, 2 each julienne cut kaffir lime leaves, 4 each poached prawns, 2 Tbsp. toasted coconut, 2 Tbsp. green onion, 2 Tbsp. red onion.
- Drizzle with 3 Tbsp. salad dressing. Stir gently to mix and transfer to a serving platter.
- Top with cashews. Garnish salad with sprigs of mint and cilantro.
- Garnish plate with small orchid flower and a drizzle of dressing (optional).
- In a small bowl place all dressing ingredients except the coconut sugar and whisk together. Add the coconut sugar to taste. Add the fresh Thai bird chilies to taste. The dressing should be balanced between sweet, salty, sour and spicy flavors without one flavor overpowering the other.
- Cover and refrigerate.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly..