Grilled Avocado with Fruit Salsa Recipe
This dish can be a tempting, tangy appetizer, a first course, replacing boring salads, or as a surprise dessert – as you know Avocados are fruit!”
Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 4 firm ripe Hass Avocados
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) honey
- 1/4 cup (59 mL) olive oil
- 1 medium mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes
- 1/2 lb. (277 g) strawberries, cut into 1/2-inch (1-cm) cubes
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup (79 mL) orange juice
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) lemon juice
- Lettuce leaves, for serving
- Preheat the barbecue to medium-high (300 degrees F to 400 degrees F), making sure the grill is well oiled.
- Slice the avocados in half lengthwise and carefully remove the seeds. In a small bowl, mix together the honey and olive oil. Brush the exposed flesh with the honey–olive oil mixture, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a cool place (do not refrigerate).
- In a medium bowl, combine the mango, strawberries, vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice. Let sit for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, so the flavors can blend.
- Grill the avocados, skin side down, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the skin begins to lightly char and take on grill marks. Brush the flesh side of the avocados again with the honey-oil mixture and place them flesh side down on the grill for 2 to 3 minutes.
- With a spatula, carefully remove the avocados from the grill and place them on beds of lettuce on warm serving plates, 2 halves per person. Fill the seed cavity of each avocado half with the mango-strawberry salsa. Serve with spoons to scoop out the avocado flesh and salsa.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly..